Thursday, April 18, 2013

What Letting Go Is...What Letting Go Is NOT...

Read this quote in Loribeth's blog a while ago and it was SO good that I just had to share it in FB as well. Here goes: 

There is a big difference between giving up and letting go. Giving up means selling yourself short. It means allowing fear and struggle to limit your opportunities and keep you stuck.
Letting go means freeing yourself from something that is no longer serving you. It means removing toxic people and belief systems from your life so that you can make room for relationships and ideas that are conducive to your well-being and happiness.
Giving up reduces your life. Letting go expands it. Giving up is imprisoning. Letting go is liberation. Giving up is self-defeat. Letting go is self-care.
So the next time you make the decision to release something or someone that is stifling your happiness and growth, and a person has the audacity to accuse you of giving up or being weak, remind yourself of the difference. Remind yourself that you don’t need anyone’s permission or approval to live your life in the way that feels right. No one has the authority to tell you who to be or how to live. No one gets to decide what your life should look like or who should be a part of it. No one, but you. 
~ Danielle Koepke
 An FB friend then commented on the quote, asking, "So it's all just about our point of view?"

I responded, "In a way yes, I suppose. In some cases we have to set our boundaries and stick to them (in case of toxic people for example). In other cases some dreams do have an expiry date and letting go is essential in order to move on (rather than keep on bumping into a wall that's impenetrable). In other cases letting go of our dreams (and change them into other dreams) is the only way that we can start to heal. And I guess there are many other cases that I can't possibly think of." 

What would you say if you were asked that question? 

6 comments:

  1. Interesting timing. I had spoken with a friend about that- we were talking about alternative futures, possible wars, and all that (yeah, we do talk weird, sometimes), and I told him that I'm pretty comfortable with the idea- "if it happens, then it happens." In long run, I'm not afraid of death or what comes up- after experiencing several near-death experiences, you know what? It's not scary. Best thing is to let go of expectations, to let go of fears that don't benefit you- and the friend said, "don't give up." I was like..? I explained to him that I'm not giving up- I'm letting go of fears- I'd rather be fighting on my feet, than to curl up in a fetal position and wail "the world is ending!"

    Hey, that's just me. I might be sad nowadays, but it doesn't mean I don't stop fighting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise words, Julie. Letting go of fear is something that I still need to work on. I love stability and planning ahead WAY too much. Even though I've learnt to let go and enjoy the present, the tendency is still strong inside me.

      Anyway, isn't it weird that when we "move on" and "let go", people assume that we "give up"? Geez...

      Delete
  2. Good answer. I'd say what you said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the shout-out! Glad you liked the quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. Important things need to be shared. :-D

      Delete

THANKS for dropping by and for leaving a comment. :-) I truly appreciate it. :-)